Eljen Geotextile Sand Filter (GSF®)
Affordable Septic Solutions is pleased to announce that we now offer the Eljen Geotextile Sand Filter (GSF®) in Virginia as an affordable, low-maintenance alternative to suspended growth ATU’s and media filter advanced treatment systems. (See an installation example.) The Eljen GSF® is currently approved in Virginia as a secondary treatment device. Under the recently adopted Emergency Regulations for Alternative Onsite Sewage Systems, the GSF can be designed with a reduced footprint of 50%! The GSF has been used throughout New England and other States with a proven track record for over 25 years and received 3rd party testing at the Massachusetts Alternative Septic System Test Center (MASSTC) in accordance with NSF/ANSI Standard 40 protocol for a 32-week period with results that show CBOD and TSS results well below 10 mg/l and fecal coliform removal of 90 – 99% for gravity systems and 98.41 – 99.99% for time pressure and demand dosed systems.
The Eljen GSF is a passive advanced treatment system that treats wastewater at the disposal site with a patented two-stage Bio-Matt™. The GSF is constructed of recycled materials forming a lightweight, easy to handle module that can be installed in series with other modules on a layer of specified sand either in a trench, bed, or mound configuration. Depending upon the site and soil limitations of a given installation site, the Eljen GSF can be installed below grade for gravity disposal with no pumps or aerators required. For shallow-placed or above ground installations, a pump station may be required.
Cutaway of Eljen Geotextile Sand Filter System (click image for expanded view)
Why Consider an Eljen GSF® for Your Next Project?
- Proven track record – Eljen Geotextile Sand Filter technology has been around since the mid-1980s and is currently sold in over twenty States, Canada, and Europe.
- 3rd Party independent testing confirms better than secondary treatment levels.
- Affordable – the Eljen GSF is among the most affordable advanced treatment systems on the market today offering an advanced secondary treatment system for less than the price of a suspended growth ATU.
- Lower site impact – reduces the need for numerous access risers and covers that homeowners often find objectionable.
- Environmentally friendly – modules are constructed from 96% recycled materials and due to the passive nature of the system, the GSF offers lower power consumption costs than other treatment systems on the market.
- Low energy cost – $6.00 to $8.00 per year if a pump is needed.
- Easy to handle – the 3’ x 4’ x 7” modules weigh 18 lbs. each making them easy for the installer to transport, handle, and install.
- More surface area – each B43 module contains 96 sq. ft. of surface area which is 8 times the surface area of conventional stone and chamber systems.
- Greater longevity and smaller footprint – the GSF creates unsaturated flow conditions and increases the acceptance rate of effluent into the soil from 2 to 16 times that of a conventional sewage system resulting in a much smaller footprint needed for wastewater treatment and disposal.
- Simple installation – the Eljen GSF is among the easiest to install advanced treatment systems with no complex pumps, panels, wiring or components often found with other ATU and media filter systems that can often cause installers much aggravation and leave room for installation errors that could impact system operation and performance.
- No media replacement – since the GSF system consists of synthetic materials and inorganic natural sand, there is no media replacement necessary during the life of the system as required with organic natural treatment media such as peat moss that degrades over time and may require replacement every 10 to 15 years.
- Simple operation and maintenance – without complex pumps, aerators, and spray nozzles, the GSF has no complicated parts to wear out, become clogged, or need replacing on a routine basis. Typical system maintenance would include servicing the effluent filter in the septic tank, possibly one effluent pump if a pump station is required, visual spot check of the disposal site where the modules are installed, and check the passive air vent pipe, if applicable.
- Homeowner satisfaction – with reduced maintenance, site disturbance, and cost – the GSF offers a more viable system option that is sure to please the most discriminating homeowner.
Contact Affordable Septic Solutions, Inc. today toll free at 866-802-3455 to learn more about this revolutionary and cost-effective advanced treatment system alternative.